Operate Breathing Apparatus
This course covers the skills and knowledge required to operate and maintain breathing apparatus and equipment in an irrespirable atmosphere, as defined by the Australian Standard AS/NZS 1715:2009 Selection, use and maintenance of respiratory protective equipment.
DURATION: 1 DAY
Units of Competency
- MSMWHS216 Operate Breathing Apparatus
This course applies to operators who are required to wear breathing apparatus because they are working:
- in a confined space
- with hazardous gases/vapours
- in an oxygen deficient atmosphere
- in other situations requiring the wearing of breathing apparatus.
Operators may also be required to wear breathing apparatus in emergency situations; however, this is not the prime focus of this unit.
- Participants must be clean shaven in order to attend the course. The unit of competency states that participants “Don the apparatus in accordance with workplace procedures and the manufacturer’s specifications.” The manufacturer’s specifications state: “The sealing line between head and facepiece must be free of hair and foreign substances which could cause leakages”. AS 1715 requires users to be clean shaven.
- Ability to read, write and understand English
- Wear normal work clothing and enclosed footwear
*This training is based on realistic scenarios. It is essential that all participants are able to and capable of moving about in dark, possibly smoky, confined spaces while wearing 15kg breathing apparatus sets.