This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response to a casualty. The unit applies to all workers who may be required to provide a first aid response in a range of situations, including community and workplace settings.
The candidate must show evidence of the ability to complete tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit, manage tasks and manage contingencies in the context of the job role.
There must be evidence that the candidate has completed the following tasks in line with state/territory regulations, first aid codes of practice, Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) guidelines and workplace procedures:
- followed the prompts of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- followed single rescue procedure, including the demonstration of a rotation of operators with minimal interruptions to compressions
- managed the unconscious breathing casualty
- responded appropriately in the event of regurgitation or vomiting
- performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles both compressions and ventilations) on an infant resuscitation manikin placed on a firm surface
- performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) (5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations) on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor
- Responded to at least two simulated first aid scenarios contextualised to the candidate’s workplace/community setting, including:
- conducted a visual and verbal assessment of the casualty
- demonstrated safe manual handling techniques
- post-incident debrief and evaluation
- provided an accurate verbal or written report of the incident
- Applied first aid procedures for the following:
- allergic reaction
- bleeding control
- choking and airway obstruction
- envenomation, using pressure immobilisation
- fractures, sprains and strains, using arm slings, roller bandages or other appropriate immobilisation techniques
- respiratory distress, including asthma
All competent students will receive a Statement of Attainment upon successful completion of the above unit of competency.